Rich chocolate mousse infused with Hayman’s Sloe Gin
200ml Hayman’s Sloe Gin
200g 70% cocoa solids dark chocolate, broken into pieces (set aside 20g for garnish)
600ml double cream
3 large eggs, whites and yolks separated
100g sloe berries
100g caster sugar
- 1. Place the sloe berries in a pan with three quarters of the sugar and warm over a low heat.
- 2. Stir to combine, allow the sugar to dissolve and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 3. Press the cooked berries through a sieve using the back of a wooden spoon. Set aside to cool.
- 4. Place the chocolate pieces in a bowl set over a bain-marie at a low simmer, allowing the chocolate to melt slowly.
- 5. Remove from the heat and stir until smooth.
- 6. Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before stirring in the egg yolks (mix thoroughly, to avoid any lumps), followed by the sweetened sloe coulis (keep 20g aside for garnish) and 100ml of Hayman’s Sloe Gin.
- 7. Whisk the double cream with the rest of the caster sugar until it forms rough peaks
- 8. Slowly stir in 100ml of Hayman’s Sloe Gin little by little to the whipped cream, to prevent the cream from curdling.
- 9. Set a little of the cream mixture aside for garnish and fold the rest into the chocolate mixture.
- 10. Whisk the egg whites until they become soft peaks and fold into the rest of the mixture.
- 11. Serve with a garnish of Hayman’s Sloe Gin-sweetened cream, flaked chocolate, and drizzle over the remaining coulis.