50ml Hayman’s Gently Rested Gin
15ml Homemade Bay Leaf Syrup
3-5ml Lagavulin Scotch Whisky
2 dashes Absinthe
- 1. To make the bay leaf syrup, put two bay leaves in a saucepan with two parts sugar to one part water, and slowly bring to a simmer.
- 2. Remove from the heat when the sugar has dissolved and leave to cool.
- 3. Stir all ingredients with ice in a mixing glass or jar.
- 4. Add cubed ice to a rocks glass.
- 5. Strain the drink over the ice.
FOR THE TRUE TASTE
Bay leaves develop their unique flavours and aromas when dried; these herbal, slightly floral notes bring out the nuanced, complex botanicals in the gin. Making a simple bay leaf sugar syrup is the best way of capturing the bay leaves’ intense flavours and imparting them to this twist on a classic.