Apple Bobbing is a popular game played traditionally in England for Halloween. Players must use just their mouths to catch apples from a bucket of water, with the quickest player crowned the winner.
Enjoy the tradition of apple bobbing without dunking your head in freezing cold water this Halloween with this themed cocktail called Bobbing for Apples.
This recipe used a homemade cassia sugar syrup. Cassia is one of the Hayman’s ten botanicals used to add delicate spice and warmth. Just like our True English Gin, this requires one day to steep in order for the flavours to fully develop.
Bobbing For Apples
- 50ml Hayman’s Old Tom Gin
- 40ml Cloudy Pressed Apple Juice
- 25ml Cassia Sugar Syrup (recipe below)
- 25ml Lemon Juice
- Add all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker full of cubed ice.
- Shake and double strain into a highball glass full of cubed ice.
- Garnish with Marzipan Apples, or cubes of apple for an allergen-free substitution.
Cassia Sugar Syrup – For 4 serves
- 100g Granulated Sugar
- 100ml Water
- 5 g Cassia Bark
- Boil the water.
- When just boiled, add the sugar into a jug and pour in the water.
- Stir until the sugar has dissolved and water is clear again.
- Add the Cassia Bark and stir well.
- Leave to steep in a bottle for 24 hours before use.